Semantic Stargate Wiki — The semantic reference regarding the Stargate universe.
A monk was with his teamates on Chulak when SG-1 visited the planet for the first time.
This monk is part of a group of monks who carry Apophis' tatoo on the forehead. In 1997, this group headed towards the city of Chulak to participate at the choosing ceremony (SG1: "Children of the Gods").
When SG-1 is on Chulak, looking for a Goa'uld who kidnapped Sha're, Skaara and the American female Airman, they see a group of monk seemingly in procession. Colonel Jack O'Neill orders to take cover and all of them hide behind some bushes. When O'Neill gives instructions to Captain Samantha Carter, Doctor Daniel Jackson stands up and heads directly to the small group. O'Neill is uspset and says that the man hasn't changed.
Daniel is talking to the first monk, telling them that they came through the Stargate, which they don't understand. Then Daniel speaks to them in Goa'uld language, mentionning the Chapaa'ai. When they hear the word, all the monks bow down before Daniel, leaving him embarrassed. O'Neill and Carter lead toward Daniel. Daniel asks O'Neill to lower his weapon. The first monk asks to Daniel: "Chula a lazla?". Daniel translates if they are here to choose. Daniel then tells O'Neill that this language is a combination of Arabic which O'Neill doesn't care at all. O'Neill tells Daniel to ask them the nearest city (Arush). The monk mentions Chulak and brings them over there.
Once in Chulak, the small group come inside a palace then in a huge room where occurs a celebration. The monk is speaking to the hosts. SG-1 is invited to seat on the table as guests.
- The monk has a better appearance in the remastered version of "Children of the Gods", Stargate SG-1: Children of the Gods - Final Cut, thanks to a digital restauration of the archive footages shot with John Tierney. Those footages had a big vertical scratch avoiding any full use of them at the time they shot, as they didn't have the same restauration tools in 1997.
- This character obvioulsy doesn't speak nor understand English.
Behind the scenes
Episodes featuring the monk from Chulak
01/02. "Children of the Gods"
03. "The Enemy Within"
05. "The Broca Divide"
06. "The First Commandment"
07. "Cold Lazarus"
08. "The Nox"
09. "Brief Candle"
10. "Thor's Hammer"
11. "The Torment of Tantalus"
13. "Fire and Water"
19. "Tin Man"
20. "There But For the Grace of God"
22. "Within the Serpent's Grasp"